Coronavirus: What you need to know
We are adding extra steps to our screening process when patients arrive at all of our emergency rooms across the James Bay region in response to the first two presumed cases of Novel Coronavirus in Toronto being identified.
While we are serious about protecting our patients, it’s important to know that the Public Health Agency of Canada has assessed the public health risk associated with Novel Coronavirus or 2019-nCoV in Wuhan, China as low for Canada and Canadian travellers.
The best way to protect yourself and your loved ones from Novel Coronavirus, and many other common illnesses is to:
- Wash your hands often with soap and water for at least 20 seconds. Use and alcohol-based hand sanitizer only is soap and water are unavailable.
- Avoid touching your eyes, nose and mouth with unwashed hands.
- Avoid close contact with people who are sick.
- Stay home when you are sick.
- Cover your cough with or sneeze into a tissue, then throw the tissue into the trash.
- Clean and disinfect frequently touched objects and surfaces.
Symptoms of the 2019 Novel Coronavirus infection have included:
- difficulty breathing
If you have travelled to Wuhan, China and develop symptoms of 2019 Novel Coronavirus infection, avoid contact with others and come to one of our emergency rooms.
Make sure to tell your health-care provider:
- your symptoms
- where you have been travelling or living
- if you have had direct contact with animals (for example: visited a live animal market)
- if you have had close contact with a sick person, especially if that person has had a fever, cough or difficulty breathing
At anytime (24/7) you can call Telehealth Ontario at 1-866-797-0000 if you have medical questions or concerns.
For the latest information on Novel Coronavirus, visit: