Daily COVID-19 Report
The daily COVID-19 report is posted daily, Monday to Friday at 5 p.m. and by the Minomathoswin – Healthy Living Public Health Department at Weeneebayko Area Health Authority (WAHA). This summary provides the daily numbers for the James and Hudson Bay Region and across Northeastern Ontario.
As of April 8th, 2021 at 12:01am, the Ontario government enacts the Provincial Emergency and Stay-at-Home Order. Home order requiring everyone to remain at home except for essential purposes, such as going to the grocery store or pharmacy, accessing health care services (including getting vaccinated), for outdoor exercise, or for work that cannot be done remotely. Click here for details of the public health measures and advice.
The snowshoes represent the current Ontario COVID-19 Restriction Levels. Various measures are in place to protect those living in that area. If you are travelling to that area, make sure you are aware of the restrictions.
Before you consider traveling for essential reasons outside of the region, it’s important to take the necessary precautions to protect you and your loved ones. It’s important to know the current provincial restrictions in the area you are going to travel to.
COVID-19 Status for Public Health Units across Northeastern Ontario
Last updated: 4:00 pm April 19 2021
James and Hudson Bay Region
- Current number of active cases: 0
- Resolved cases: 39 cases in the Region (5 in Attawapiskat and 14 from Moose Factory 2 in Fort Albany, 18 in Moosonee,) are resolved.
- Total number of reported cases in the Region: 39
**Please note that 3 additional cases were reported by the PPHU and were isolating in the Region, the cases were reported in PPHU’s case count and were not included in the James and Hudson Bay reported case count.* These cases are all now resolved.
As of April 15th, 2021, the Porcupine Health Unit (PHU) is declaring an outbreak of COVID-19 at the Glencore’s Kidd Operations Mine Site in Timmins. To date, three employees are confirmed cases of COVID-19 and the investigation has determined that the cases are related to the workplace. The cases are currently in self-isolation.
The PHU is working closely with the workplace to ensure the infection prevention and control measures are in place. The management team at Glencore’s Kidd Operations Mine Site is taking all the necessary precautions to reduce the risk of infection and prevent the transmission of COVID-19.
Regional Testing Update
- Total Number of testing results: 9,061
- Number of negative testing results: 8,917
- Number of pending testing results: 9
Porcupine Health Unit, Sudbury, Timiskaming, North Bay and Parry Sound, Algoma District and Northeastern Ontario updates
- There are 73 new cases reported in this region:
- Algoma reported 8 new cases
- Porcupine reported 23 new cases
- North Bay Parry Sound reported 7 new cases
- Sudbury reported 35 new cases
- The total number of reported cases is 3,110 in the Northeastern Ontario region
- 327 cases remain active
- Kingston reported 39 new cases
- Kingston currently has four active outbreaks
- Overall, the number of total reported cases of COVID-19: 1,179
- 94 cases remain active and are all self-isolating
COVID-19 cases across Canada
(click on the numbers for more information)
COVID-19 cases in Canada
COVID-19 cases in Indigenous communities across Canada
COVID-19 cases in Indigenous Communities across Ontario
COVID-19 Outbreaks in Schools and Long Term Care Centres
School Outbreaks in the James and Hudson Bay Region
School Outbreaks in the Northeastern Ontario
Long Term Care Outbreaks in Northeastern Ontario
As Ontario starts to reopen, we will update the restriction zones weekly.
For the most up to date information on the new COVID-19 restriction levels, head to their website. Where the local community bylaws and the provincial restrictions differ, follow the more restrictive advice.
Epidemiological Summary for period of
April 2 2021 – April 10, 2021
The Epidemiological summary includes weekly incidence rates as they are made available by Public Health Ontario, number of COVID-19 mutation or Variant of Concern (VOC) cases to the latest available date, and the cumulative rate per 100,000 population.
Restriction levels are determined by province based on percent positivity, weekly incident rate and cumulative rate per 100,000 population.
Data Source: Ontario Agency for Health Protection and Promotion (Public Health Ontario). Epidemiologic summary: COVID-19 in Ontario. Toronto, ON: Queen’s Printer for Ontario; 2020. https://covid-19.ontario.ca/covid-19-epidemiologic-summaries-public-health-ontario
Helpful information to read and understand the tables:
|Resolved Cases: ||are those deemed “recovered” and completed 14 days of isolation from when symptoms were first reported. The cases reported do not included fatal cases and are not currently in hospital.|
|Percent Positivity (last 7 days):||Number of tests performed for COVID-19 in a certain period (during the last 7 days) that were positive|
|Cumulative Rate per 100,000 population:||Total number of confirmed COVID-19 cases since the beginning of the report for the region reported per 100,000 population [(total cases/region population)*100 000]|
|Weekly Incidence Rate per 100,000 population:||Number of new confirmed COVID-19 cases reported per 100,000 population in a certain period (past 7 days) [(cases in the period / total population of the period)*100 000]|
Data sources and Footnotes for Summary Table
1.The 2019 Novel Coronavirus (COVID-19) | Ontario.ca
2. Algoma Health Unit, offices locates at Sault Ste. Marie, Blind River, Elliot Late and WAWA. http://www.algomapublichealth.com/disease-and-illness/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/current-status-covid-19/
3. North Bay Health Unit: https://www.myhealthunit.ca/en/health-topics/coronavirus.asp
4. Sudbury and District Health Unit: https://www.phsd.ca/health-topics-programs/diseases-infections/coronavirus/current-status-covid-19
5. Timiskaming Health Unit: http://www.timiskaminghu.com/90484/COVID-19#Current%20Situation
6. Porcupine Health Unit: http://www.porcupinehu.on.ca/en/your-health/infectious-diseases/novel-coronavirus/
7. KFL&A Public Health: https://www.kflaph.ca/en/healthy-living/status-of-cases-in-kfla.aspx
**James and Hudson Bay area statistics are part of the Porcupine Health Unit, thus numbers are also included in the Cochrane District (Porcupine Health Unit) column.